Abus Granit X Plus 540 – A Basic Yet Effective Solution
Features: 300mm – Steel Shackle – Sold Secure Gold Standard – 37 x 22 x 20 cm – 1.7kg
- Easy to use design.
- Made from durable materials.
- Sold Secure Gold Standard so very secure.
- Quite expensive for a basic model.
The Design of the Abus Granit X Plus 540
Upon first taking a look at the Abus Granit X Plus 540, we have to say that it seemed a little basic in terms of design. However, looks can be deceptive. Upon closer inspection, we were very impressed. It looks basic, but just by feeling the lock you can tell that it has been made to be durable and reliable.
There are a couple of things that we liked about the design of this lock. First of all, the lack of bright colours, we feel, makes the lock far more discreet. Thieves will often target bikes if they can see a lock that they can target, but this lock is not obvious.
Another thing that we really liked was the retractable lock cover. This automatically retracts when the key is inserted. What we liked about this is that it not only protects the lock from the elements, but it also protects the lock from pick attacks too, giving you extra levels of security.
Overall, our first impressions of the design of the Abus Granit X Plus 540 were very good. It feels very well designed, robust and incredibly secure.
Using the Abus Granit X Plus 540
When it came to using the Abus Granit X Plus 540, we had no issues at all. What we really liked about this lock is that we were actually able to lock it through the middle of the frame and the rear wheel. This made it feel far more secure than if we were only able to use the frame with the lock, so this was a definite plus point.
When the bike is attached to railings, it fits very snuggly. We found that if we locked it tight that there would be no room for any tools to be used to cut the lock. We also felt that a thief would have a hard time if they were to attempt a leverage attack too.
The key provided is fairly long compared to what we were used to. This was another nice touch because it made accessing the lock much easier. The locking and unlocking motion was incredibly smooth and there is an audible sound when it is safely locked so you can be sure that your bike is going nowhere.
The Portability of the Abus Granit X Plus 540
This is where we were really impressed with the Abus Granit X Plus 540. First of all, let’s talk about the weight. At 1.7kg, it is incredibly lightweight for this type of lock. It can be easily carried around the saddle or even in a backpack with no issues at all. As well as this, it is fairly compact in comparison to some of the others on the market, so if you need to carry it on a daily basis then you won’t have any problems.
However, there is an even better way of carrying it and that is with the provided mount. This simple click mount makes carrying the lock no problem at all. When we first tried it, we were a little concerned that it would feel too heavy on the frame of the bike. However, this really wasn’t the case. We didn’t even notice it was there.
Overall, we were very impressed with the Abus Granit X Plus 540. If you are looking for something that is lightweight and offers a very high level of security, then this is absolutely a bike lock that should be considered.
Here are some other bike lock reviews which may be of interest;
- Hiplok E-DX Cargo Review
- Master Lock Criterion Review
- Litelok Gold Wearable Review
- ABUS 6000 / 120 Bordo Big Folding Lock Review
- Onguard Pitbull 8005 DT Review
- On-Guard 8001 Brute Review
- Abus Bordo Granite X-Plus 6500 Review
- Abus Grantie D Locks Review
- Kryptonite Evolution 4 Review
- Kryptonite Stronghold Ground Anchor Review
- Kryptonite New York Lock M18 Review
- Kryptonite Messenger Mini+ Review
- Kryptonite Keeper Integrated Chain Review
- Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Review
- Kryptonite Evolution Mini Review
- Abus U-Mini 401 Review
- Abus Steel-O-Chain Review
- Abus Bordo 90cm Folding Bike Lock Review
- Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Review
- Kryptonite New York 3000 Review
- Knog Party Frank Cable Lock Review
- Abus Granit Steel-O-Flex 1000 Cable Lock Review
- Abus Granit Extreme 59 U Lock Review
Last Updated on March 20, 2023 by Sammy