The Abus Granit Steel-O-Flex 1000 is one of the best-selling cable locks. Cable locks offer flexibility and portability where big D locks don’t, but they are also considered to offer lesser protection, despite a Sold Secure Gold rating. In fact, we don’t recommend any cable locks, but if we had to, this would be the only one. (See our guide on locking a bike).
Cable Lock Review: The Steel-O-Flex 1000
This lock comes in two sizes, 80cm and 100cm. A popular but potentially dangerous (and not recommended!) way of carrying this lock is around the waist. Unless you are particularly svelte, you will have trouble fitting the 80cm (31 inches) version comfortably around you.
The Steel-O-Flex 1000 is billed as one of strongest locks of its type and from the outset it appears as though there is little to suggest otherwise with a tough armoured steel backbone with overlapped 5mm links further strengthening the lock. As ever, security means heavy and expensive. With a weight of 1.85kg for the 100cm version, and 1.55kg for the 80cm version , you will be looking to spend upwards of £60.
Andreas, the London Cyclist had this to say:
I will be using the Abus Granit Steel O Flex 1000 when I don’t want to take a bag or I don’t have enough room in my bag. Otherwise, my old faithful Kryptonite will be in charge of bicycle safety.
BikeRadar took their usual assortment of tools to the lock in an attempt to break it and the lock performed well:
The Steeloflex passed our five-minute first round with minimal cosmetic damage and in test two our high-powered tool took over a minute and a half to get through this super-tough lock.
In summary, whilst this cable lock doesn’t make our list of recommended locks, if you really want a cable lock, this is definitely the one to get.
Have any questions or comments about this lock? Let me know below.
Here are some other bike lock reviews which may be of interest;
- Hiplok E-DX Cargo Review
- Master Lock Criterion Review
- Litelok Gold Wearable Review
- ABUS 6000 / 120 Bordo Big Folding Lock Review
- Onguard Pitbull 8005 DT Review
- On-Guard 8001 Brute Review
- Abus Bordo Granite X-Plus 6500 Review
- Abus Granit X-Plus 540 Review
- Abus Grantie D Locks Review
- Kryptonite Evolution 4 Review
- Kryptonite Stronghold Ground Anchor Review
- Kryptonite New York Lock M18 Review
- Kryptonite Messenger Mini+ Review
- Kryptonite Keeper Integrated Chain Review
- Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Review
- Kryptonite Evolution Mini Review
- Abus U-Mini 401 Review
- Abus Steel-O-Chain Review
- Abus Bordo 90cm Folding Bike Lock Review
- Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Review
- Kryptonite New York 3000 Review
- Knog Party Frank Cable Lock Review
- Abus Granit Extreme 59 U Lock Review
Last Updated on January 24, 2023 by Sammy