- 1 Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock – The Gold Standard of Chain Locks
- 2 The Design of the Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock
- 3 The Portability of the Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock
- 4 Using the Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock
Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock – The Gold Standard of Chain Locks
- Incredibly secure chain lock.
- Easy to carry.
- Perfect for long and short rides.
- More expensive than some of the other Kryptonite chain locks.
- Will need to be used with a U lock.
Features: Sold Secure Gold Standard – 10mm Thick Chain – 160cm Length – Weatherproof Cover
For those who regularly commute to and from work, or even just partake in regular bike rides, security should definitely be a priority. It is important to keep in mind that when you reach your destination, you are going to need to make sure that your bike is securely fastened to railings or something similar.
The problem is that there are so many different types of locks on the market right now and choosing the right one for the job can be difficult. We have tested out many different locks recently, and one that we felt worthy of a review was the Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock. If you are looking for a chain lock for your bike, then please read on below for our verdict so that you can see if this is the right lock for your needs.
The Design of the Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock
The design of this particular chain lock from Kryptonite is fairly similar to a lot of their other chain locks. However, there are some differences that are definitely worth noting. First of all, there is the fact that the Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock is certified Sold Secure Gold standard. This means that it offers the maximum level of security.
As well as this, this chain lock features the integrated evolution series 4 lock head which has already proven incredibly popular with several of the other models in the Kryptonite range. In terms of quality, it is clear to see that highly durable materials have been used in the construction of this chain lock. It is 10mm thick and 160cm long, so plenty long enough to secure several bikes if you need to.
One of the things that we really liked about the design of this particular chain lock is that it doesn’t stand out, especially in comparison with some of the other locks in the Kryptonite range. It has a black sleeve covering the chain itself, with the Kryptonite logo in white. It actually looks more stylish than anything and it certainly won’t draw attention.
The Portability of the Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock
The dimensions of this particular chain lock are 12x20x19cm. Whilst it doesn’t feel overly bulky, it is a little too large to comfortably fit into a saddle back. It could be put in a backpack quite easily, and at only 500g in weight you are certainly not going to notice much of a difference in weight.
Although it is lightweight enough to transport comfortably, it is important to keep in mind that it is made out of quality materials so it might feel a little heavier than what you are used to if you have used cheap chain locks in the past. Overall, we were quite impressed with the portability of this one.
Using the Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock
Fortunately, using the Kryptonite Evo Series 4 1090 Chain Lock couldn’t be easier. One thing that really surprised us was how smooth it is locking and unlocking the chain lock itself. We had no issues with it at all. We also found that it was really easy to secure the lock and remove it when necessary. We also found it really easy to fit the bike securely enough so that it couldn’t be easily removed.
One thing that we would like to point out with this one is the fact that if you are in a particularly high risk area, then it would be a very good idea to make sure that you use the chain lock in conjunction with either a D lock or a U lock which can both be purchased from the Kryptonite range. This will maximise security levels.
Overall, this is a hardy chain lock that would work well for most cyclists, no matter what their needs are. As well as this, it is good value for money, so we would definitely recommend it.
Here are some other bike lock reviews which may be of interest;
- Hiplok E-DX Cargo Review
- Master Lock Criterion Review
- Litelok Gold Wearable Review
- ABUS 6000 / 120 Bordo Big Folding Lock Review
- Onguard Pitbull 8005 DT Review
- On-Guard 8001 Brute Review
- Abus Bordo Granite X-Plus 6500 Review
- Abus Granit X-Plus 540 Review
- Abus Grantie D Locks Review
- Kryptonite Evolution 4 Review
- Kryptonite Stronghold Ground Anchor Review
- Kryptonite New York Lock M18 Review
- Kryptonite Messenger Mini+ Review
- Kryptonite Keeper Integrated Chain Review
- Kryptonite Evolution Mini Review
- Abus U-Mini 401 Review
- Abus Steel-O-Chain Review
- Abus Bordo 90cm Folding Bike Lock Review
- Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Review
- Kryptonite New York 3000 Review
- Knog Party Frank Cable Lock Review
- Abus Granit Steel-O-Flex 1000 Cable Lock Review
- Abus Granit Extreme 59 U Lock Review
Last Updated on March 17, 2023 by Sammy